From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-22 18:54:43

From: Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
> At 06:40 PM 6/22/2001, Greg Colvin wrote:
>
> >The safe rule is not to use leading underscores, although I
> >think those above are technically OK, if useless.
>
> Why? Lots of programmers (me included) use a single leading underscore in
> private member names. It never causes any problems, and is completely
> standard conforming.

So long as you remember not to follow the underscore with
a capital letter.

Also, some shops use a leading underscore for unavoidable
variables in statement macros that might interfere with
other names. I know, don't use macros ...

> That choice was based in an experiment some years ago trying several
> candidates (including none, trailing underscore, and some others I can't
> remember.) Leading underscore won.

OK. I still dislike such warts. But I've quoted the
standard so people can choose accordingly.