From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-28 07:12:13

From: <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>

> --- In boost_at_y..., "Greg Colvin" <gcolvin_at_u...> wrote:

> > I prefer detach, so that an explicit detach() function is
> > not needed. It's easy enough to join() when appropriate.
> > But then I've yet to write an application that needed to
> > join.
>
> Our experiences differ. I very rarely have need for a detached
> thread.

My limited experience with threads has always followed the pattern "spawn a
worker thread to perform lengthy operation X without blocking the main
thread, leaving it responsive." (Minor variations include "to perform
background operation Y", like keeping a buffer full of data.)

What is the usual 'join' model?

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.