From: Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-06-28 13:50:43

Author: williamkempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden]) at unix,mime
Date: 27/06/01 18:32

>--- In boost_at_y..., "Greg Colvin" <gcolvin_at_u...>
>wrote: > From: <williamkempf_at_h...>
>> > Considering all of the discussion so far, I think this
>slightly > > modified interface is the best design so far:
>> >
>> > class thread :
>boost::noncopyable > > {
>> > public:
>> > thread(detail::threadproc proc); // Starts the
>thread >
>> What happens if proc throws?

>I've been debating what to do here. Currently it's undefined.
>Alternatives are 1) the thread alone dies and 2) the program aborts.
>Option 2 is probably the best, but for now I don't care about this
>specification as it doesn't effect the interface.

I go for thread alone dies. If the parent does not catch the exception
then you will abort. I will be impossible to write reliable systems if
the whole process dies due to one thread throwing an exception. An
example of this would be a client / server system with thread per
client. If one client could bring the whole process down that would
effectively be a denial of service attack on the other clients.

/ikh

for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
related financial instruments.