From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-06-29 11:05:37

--- In boost_at_y..., Jeremy Siek <jsiek_at_r...> wrote:

> If you want to join, you don't create a detached thread in the first
> place, and you don't need to detach in the destructor because the
join
> does the cleanup. Note I'm using POSIX threads definitions here.

There's a reason why POSIX allows you to both create a detached
thread, and detach a thread after creation. Program logic *can*
dictate that we don't know if a thread should be joined or detached
until after some event has occured after the thread was created.

> I have a bad feeling that a lot of time is being wasted because some
> people are talking Win32 and some are talking POSIX. I'm currently
> printing out the MSDN docs to figure out the relation between the
Win32
> defs and the POSIX defs.

I think this too, but I've been *extremely* careful to insure that
neither library dictates the final design and my discussions have all
centered around generic thread concepts not concepts specific to
either.

Bill Kempf