From: Toon Knapen (toon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-06 02:11:54

Beman Dawes wrote:
> Propose a convention that extends the current convention.
>
> The logic behind adding "that extends the current convention" to the
> challenge is this:
>
> If you propose a totally different convention (every other letter
> uppercase, whatever), people won't buy into it because it is a big break
> from the past, and they would feel it required renaming a lot of existing
> names, and that wouldn't fly as it just doesn't have enough benefit to
> outweigh the cost.
>
> If you propose extending the current convention in some way (class names
> end "_class", for example), it could be tried by those who like it, and if
> it was really better it might gradually convince more and more people it
> was a good idea.

Good point. Only defining an extension to the guidelines that is
compatible with the current style used in the Boost libs and the current
guidelines will make things look ugly. The only possibility, as you
mention, is to extend the class names with `_something' but this makes
the names longer and uglier.

I will adopt the Boost guidelines in my own projects in the future but
with an extra guideline that classnames start uppercase. If I would
submit some of my stuff to boost my guideline will also tell me to put
it in the Boost namespace at that time and convert the uppercase to
lowercase.

toon