From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-05 17:07:25

At 03:15 PM 7/5/2001, Vesa Karvonen wrote:

>Template metaprogramming libraries often have class names that collide
with
>function names. If class names and function names use the same
decoration,
>then metafunction names should preferably have some consistent
>distinguishing prefix or suffix.

Propose a convention that extends the current convention.

The logic behind adding "that extends the current convention" to the
challenge is this:

If you propose a totally different convention (every other letter
uppercase, whatever), people won't buy into it because it is a big break
from the past, and they would feel it required renaming a lot of existing
names, and that wouldn't fly as it just doesn't have enough benefit to
outweigh the cost.

If you propose extending the current convention in some way (class names
end "_class", for example), it could be tried by those who like it, and if
it was really better it might gradually convince more and more people it
was a good idea.

I've tried various schemes in my own code, and not been convinced. But
maybe someone else can come up with a convention that feels right.

--Beman