From: Corwin Joy (cjoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-15 20:49:48

As disucussed below, my first thought was that getting generic casts out of
the "any" class would be extremely difficult - but it turns out to be not
that bad and pretty cool IMHO. (There are some tricks related to how "any"
has to work, however.) To simplify things for a first pass, I have also
made the assumption that the type held by "any" is default constructible - I
think this can actually be eliminated with a bit more work. Anyway, attached
is a 3k zip file with the code to do basic any casts.

Corwin

P.S. I've only tested this on VC6 so other compilers may complain a bit.