From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-28 12:28:03

At 01:21 PM 7/27/2001, Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden] wrote:

> I don't think that socket++ is the best starting point for a sockets

> lib. I would prefer a layered approach where:
>
> Layer 1
> Very light weight wrappers to the socket api. This would be mainly
be
> targeted at protocol implementers and would provide platform
> independance.
>
> Layer 2
> Safe acceptor/ connector classes ? maybe with pluggable marshalling
>
> Layer 3
> iostream inteface possibly with searchable buffering.
>
> The main idea being to follow the normal C++ principal of you only
pay
> for what you use and to provide a library suitable for hard
real-time
> protocol developers through to a simple high level interface
suitable
> for relative novices.

I'd also prefer a layered approach. If layer 1 is primarily a wrapper for
the sockets API, with as much safety added as possible within that context,
then a huge amount of current knowledge, books, and so forth will still
apply. The only reason I can see for having a layer 1 interface that
differed markedly from the sockets API would be if it was really markedly
better. Just a bit better wouldn't do.

OTOH, layer 2 would seem to offer lots more room for C++ innovation.

--Beman