From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-08-07 16:06:38

--- In boost_at_y..., Ross Smith <ross.s_at_i...> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
> >
> > If you click on just the right sequence, and your machine is set
up just
> > right, and blah blah blah you can actually see the files rendered
> > correctly. But to make it easier to get the whole package for
local
> > reading, I've uploaded the following:

zip

> Thanks. I'm not going to make any specific comments on the
contents; as
> I said a few weeks ago, it's become pretty clear that your way of
> thinking about threads is very different to mine, and that
> boost::threads won't be much use to me. (Although I was surprised to
> find that you'd selected the (IMHO correct) noncopyable thread
model;
> the impression I had from the earlier discussion was that the
climate of
> opinion had overwhelmingly favoured the (ugh) handle-with-ref-count
> model.)

I still wish that you could formally discuss the various parts of the
design that you disagree with so that we can actually determine if
there's some design flaws in Boost.Threads. I'd really like to know
precisely why Boost.Threads won't be any use to you, and if there
could be ways to make it useful to you.

> On a tangential note, though: is it now official Boost policy that
> everything goes in CVS?

No. CVS is reserved for accepted libraries, for the most part. In
some cases exceptions are made when multiple developers need to
colloborate on a library that's going to be submitted for approval.
Such an exception was made for Boost.Threads.

> When was that decided? The intention of the
> Boost project, according to your web page, was to provide libraries
> the C++ community at large; do you really want to restrict the
> discussion and approval process to only those who grok CVS?

We're not precisely in the "discussion and approval" stage with
Boost.Threads yet. Beman asked for comments on the work to date, and
I suppose it would have been polite to have uploaded a snapshot from
the beginning in that case, but it's not a Boost requirement that
this be done so it was simply overlooked. In a few weeks when the
formal submission process begins for Boost.Threads there will be a
seperate snapshot publicly available for download, as per the
submission guidelines.

Bill Kempf