From: Asger Alstrup Nielsen (alstrup_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-09 03:14:45

> As far as naming goes, my main problem is with the terms "join" and
> "detach".

For what it's worth, I haven't used pthreads, and when I read the docs
for the Boost.thread stuff I was wondering where "join" came from. It
does not make much sense to me either. It left me with a very strange
picture where two threads were somehow merged into one, which I don't
feel is approprate. What you do is you stop one thread until another
ends. So the current thread is waiting for the other to stop. It's not
joining anything.

So, I agree that wait is better than join.

Similary,

join_all -> wait_all.

try_join -> is_running.

timed_join -> timed_wait.

I realize that you use the term "wait" for the conditions, but I don't
think that this will lead to confusion.

Greets,

Asger Alstrup