From: Ross Smith (ross.s_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-12 17:35:53

williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Usage of CVs is trivial and doesn't require any "careful analysis to
> figure out how to use them properly in any particular situation".

I disagree. But of course, it's so obvious to any Real Programmer that
you must be right and I must be wrong that it would be quite
unreasonable to ask you to justify your claim.

> lock mutex
> check state data to see if we can proceed
> if false
> unlock mutex so other threads can have access to sate data
> // This is where one race occurs
> wait for event signaled by other threads when state is true
> // This is where another race occurs
> lock mutex
> make use of data

All I see there is yet another bare assertion that race conditions exist
with no attempt to back it up with logic. And some broken code.

I'm giving up on this whole thing as of now. You've made it totally
clear that your mind is made up and you aren't prepared to engage in any
sort of discussion. I'm going to stop beating my head against a stone
wall and go do something more productive.

--
Ross Smith <ross.s_at_[hidden]> The Internet Group, Auckland, New Zealand
"Unix has always lurked provocatively in the background of the operating