From: Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-08-14 10:38:33

Author: skaller (skaller_at_[hidden]) at unix,mime
Date: 11/08/01 06:37

>Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden] wrote:

>> (It's the same reasoning that leads to my intense dislike of
>garbage > collection, and hence of Java, C#, Python, etc ad nauseam)

>Can you explain this?

I would if I'd said it. But I didn't. :-). I did express some sympathy with this
statement, although probably for different reasons to the original author. I
personally dislike garbage collection because of performance, but more
inportantly, because I find it harder to reason about the lfetime of heap
allocated objects. For similar reason I'm not a fan of reference counted
pointers. Maybe this is just too many years spent with C and C++ and getting
very ingrained about being disiplined in thinking about resources and their
lifetimes.

Java, I dislike, because if it was designed, it has been done very badly. Lack
of dsetructors means no RAII. impossible to write a swap function for objects,
single rooted inheritance hierarchy in a supposedly staticly typed language,
lack of co-varient return types, no const return values, no const methods,
impossable to have built-in types in collections, the list goes on and on.

C# ( I pronounce C hash :-) ) almost as good a name as wince. Basically a copy
of Java with including the flaws.

Python, looks o.k. given that its a scripting language. It looks cleaner than
either tcl or perl, but i'm not really proficient in any of these, so probably
not qualified to comment.

/ikh

for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
related financial instruments.