From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-14 11:57:35

From: "John Max Skaller" <skaller_at_[hidden]>
> Greg Colvin wrote:
>
> > It seems a compiler for a "fast local stack" machine can simply note
> > which local variables have their address used and not keep them on the
> > fast stack. Doesn't seem all that different from using registers for
> > locals on a machine with register windows.
>
> I'd sure hate to implement that: two stacks?

Sure, why not? We're working on Pentium code generator now, where the
eight floating point registers are most efficiently accessed as a stack,
and there are no register-memory floating point operations except load
and store. So as much as possible we keep float and double values on
the register stack.