From: Gennadiy E. Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-16 20:25:28

Depends what you want.

In general you need to implement result type generator:

tempalte<typename T1, typename T2>
struct mult_result_type;

then result type for operator* would look like:
    matrix<mult_result_type<L,R> >::type

In simple case if you need to handle finite set of types you could
just provide full specializations for all cases, for example

tempalte<>
struct mult_result_type<double,int> {
    typedef double type;
};

or you can provide partial specializations (if your compiler support
it)

tempalte<typename T2>
struct mult_result_type<double,T2> {
    typedef double type;
};

Later on you can add specialization for user-defined types.
If you wish also provide an ability for the user to optionally
specify the result type you can write something like this:

template <class L, class R,class LR = void>
matrix<mult_result_type<LR> > operator*(const matrix<L>& lhs, const
matrix<R>& rhs)
 {
   // return the product
}

and

tempalte<typename R, typename T1, typename T2>
struct mult_result_type {
    typedef R type;
};

tempalte<typename T1, typename T2>
struct mult_result_type<void,T1,T2> {
    typedef mult_result_type_impl<T1,T2>::type type;
};

here mult_result_type_impl is defined like mult_result_type before

Also you can try to use type_traits + template metaprogramming IF,
but it seams that it will be less flexible, example:

tempalte<typename T1, typename T2>
struct mult_result_type<void,T1,T2> {
    typedef IF< is_float<T1>::value || is_float<T2>::value, double,
int> type;
};

I do not know the way to automatically deduce result type in general
case. Does anybody know?

Hope it helps.

Gennadiy.