From: Douglas Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-17 22:58:05

On Friday 17 August 2001 07:17, you wrote:
> [...]

I would guess that users are afraid to use leading underscores because
they're read/heard somewhere that they aren't always allowed, but don't know
the exact rules. I checked the systems I have access to (Linux, FreeBSD,
Irix, AIX, Solaris) and no headers anywhere had _1, _2, etc. as identifiers
or macros. I think the concern over _1, _2, etc. showing up as macros is
unfounded, but obviously I can only offer proof by example.

[snip visitor description]
> > - all function objects must be able to accomodate a visitor
> > - shouldn't place this requirement on all function objects (otherwise
> > it would annoy users).
> >
> > All solutions so far that decouple bind libraries from the signals
> > library have been deemed too brittle :(.
>
> I see.
> It appears that a coupling mechanism is so important that even a hack is
> better than nothing.
> In that case, then, let's leave it the way it is.
>
> Fernando Cacciola
> Sierra s.r.l.
> fcacciola_at_[hidden]
> www.gosierra.com

It's at the very least a step above only offering binding in a limited form
and including it in the signals library but no, I'm not overly happy with it.
If only we had reflection...

        Doug