From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-20 09:55:12

At 11:58 PM 8/17/2001, Douglas Gregor wrote:

>I would guess that users are afraid to use leading underscores because
>they're read/heard somewhere that they aren't always allowed, but
>don't know the exact rules. I checked the systems I have access to
>(Linux, FreeBSD, Irix, AIX, Solaris) and no headers anywhere had
>_1, _2, etc. as identifiers or macros. I think the concern over _1,
>_2, etc. showing up as macros is unfounded, but obviously I can
>only offer proof by example.

The problem with leading underscores in non-global names is, as I have
discovered to my sorrow, that many people think they are prohibited. So
they challenge the usage, and then you have to waste time patiently leading
them through the standard wording. They don't believe you, think you are
missing something, and then you waste more time playing email ping-pong.

So I've given up and no longer use leading underscores. Period. That's much
easier than arguing with people.

--Beman