From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-18 06:17:08

>It seems to me that you want all the code that's referenced by an exported
>symbol.

Then we're at cross purposes here... in the regex case, using the
workaround you describe (building a static lib first, and then linking with
a stub dll entry point), the lib would contain symbols that need to be in
the dll, but are not referenced by any code within the dll itself - these
symbols do not end up in the dll with gcc (and yes I've checked).

>...but it needs everything that is referenced by an exported symbol.

No, everything is exported, exported symbols do not (necessarily) reference
each other.

>In any case, doesn't the enclosed subproject (which works under the build
>system with cygwin, BTW) sort of put the argument to rest? Or have I
missed
>something?

Yes, you've cheated<bg>, by referencing symbols in the lib from the dll
source.

- John Maddock
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/john_maddock/