From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-19 10:42:01

At 04:51 PM 8/18/2001, Daryle Walker wrote:

>I know there are other Boost administrators besides Beman, but can any of
>them backup for Beman in regards to releases? Beman always seems to be
the
>one handling the releases. It's good to have a backup in case we need to

>do something while Beman is on vacation or his power problems halt his
>progress. (It also helps in case he gets hit by a bus or undergoes some
>other emergency taking-out.)

Both Dave and Jens have the account information and passwords so they could
do a site update in an emergency. I execute a three page checklist of
release steps, but a lot of them are error checks (broken links, long file
names, etc) or backup steps which could be skipped if necessary.

The actual process I use for a release wasn't designed to be portable; it
uses a mix of tools including FrontPage, Win32 batch files, Bash scripts,
etc. Some of the backup procedures right now are very specific to the
hardware on my machine. None of the procedures is very exotic, but they
weren't designed to easily transfer to others.

Since I'm the one who would benefit most from making the process generic
enough that it would be easy to transfer to others, I probably will at some
point try to rationalize it and make it more portable.

--Beman