From: John Max Skaller (skaller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-20 21:11:45

Beman Dawes wrote:

> > Really? I see smart_ptr being changed today.
>
> You see proposals for change. Smart pointers seem to generate looks of
> suggestions. But the basic contents and semantics have been relatively
> stable (compared to auto_ptr changes before CD1, CD2, and the standard, for
> example).

        Yeah, I'm just having a bit of a dig.

> > Thread isn't even available yet.
>
> And it won't be proposed for the standard until it is (1) accepted by the
> formal review process, and (2) been used long enough to be relatively
> stable.

        I think this one should be put forward much earlier.
Thats because the committee has resources that boost does not,
and the lead time on the abstract machine semantic changes
need to be considered too.

> Remember too that a lot of what appears on Boost as a separate library
> would just be an addition to an existing header if added to the standard.

        Such as function.hpp? Yes, that's true.
Sigh: I'd be inclined to go for the fully fledged lambda/ET library
though.
Its more likely to be fully general, and easier to make consistent.
[A big proposal, I know.] But then, I'm a rad :-)

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller_at_[hidden]
New generation programming language Felix  http://felix.sourceforge.net