From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-20 11:14:30

At 01:13 PM 8/19/2001, John Max Skaller wrote:

>Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> At 08:52 PM 8/16/2001, John Max Skaller wrote:
>
>> > Historically, a LOT of interface details of
>> >libraries have been changed.
>>
>> While that was certainly true in the past, I'm not sure it will be as
>true
>> in the future.
>
>> Those factors (which led to a lot of changes in the proposals) just
>aren't
>> present with the Boost libraries, which are just plain a lot more
mature
>> than the material the committee had to work with in the past.
>
> Really? I see smart_ptr being changed today.

You see proposals for change. Smart pointers seem to generate looks of
suggestions. But the basic contents and semantics have been relatively
stable (compared to auto_ptr changes before CD1, CD2, and the standard, for
example).

> Thread isn't even available yet.

And it won't be proposed for the standard until it is (1) accepted by the
formal review process, and (2) been used long enough to be relatively
stable.

> I note that there are a lot of libraries on boost --
>and I'd be horrified if even half of them were Standardised.
>[We'd like to keep it so the document fits on a single CD :-]

Some of the LWG members will probably want more than others. We'll start
to get a better feel for that once we see how they react to the initial few
proposals.

Remember too that a lot of what appears on Boost as a separate library
would just be an addition to an existing header if added to the standard.

--Beman