From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-21 06:18:53

> From: "Greg Colvin" <gcolvin_at_[hidden]>
>From: John Max Skaller <skaller_at_[hidden]>
>> Kevlin Henney wrote:
>> > This seems to be a better idea in theory than in practice:
>>
>> There is no such thing. Theory is Always Right,
>> Practice is RArely Good. TARPRAG principle. (TM) Max, 19XX, 20XX:-)
>
>"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but
>in practice there is." -- first heard by me from Andy Koenig.

This is a fairly common quote -- I know I use it, and variations often
enough -- but until recently had no idea of its original source. A
friend, Ewan Milne, managed to track it down:

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
But, in practice, there is." Jan L A van de Snepscheut

We don't anything about him except that he was probably a professor at a
west coast US university and died in an accident. Anyone know any more
about him?

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  http://www.curbralan.com fax: +44 870 052 2289
  Curbralan: Consultancy + Training + Development + Review