From: Hayati Ayguen (Ayguen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-21 10:38:08

David Abrahams wrote:

> [...]

There are many algorithms and algorithm interfaces implemented in itl
which builds on mtl-2.x. even the multiply-function of mtl-2.x
implemets/specializes to many algorithms.

the flaw of mtl-2.x was that some algorithm-interfaces weren't
specialized or even implemented: i believe to remember one of this was
building submatrices from sparse matrices. there were some other
problems but i can't remember.

before making unnecessary discussions:

how far ist mtl-3? is it far enough to look at the source for discussing
its interface wether special issues are considered?

i think its important to specify the matrix interface, so that only few
specialization have to be written. one should be able to use a very
simple (maybe slow) algorithm which at least does its job. but i believe
its often possible to write efficient algorithms just using the standard
interface of matrices. but we'll have to specify the a smart interface!

or shall we wait, until someone says mtl-3 to be free for discussion?
please inform us, that we don't review any sources subject to change
drastically.

Hayati