From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-30 02:36:12

1. upgrade your cygwin to the very latest version (www.cygwin.org)
2. Download the GCC 3.0.1 sources from any of the places mentioned at
gcc.gnu.org. I used anonymous CVS from their source code base per their
instructions.
3. make a clean temporary directory
4. Launch cygwin
5. cd to your temporary directory
6. <path-to-GCC-3.0.1-source>/configure --with-languages=c,c++
7. make bootstrap
8. make install

The last 3 steps will take a while (hours!)
I suggest:
a. putting them all on the same line
b. redirecting stdout and stderr into a file so you can look at the results
later

Finally, that will install GCC-3.0 in /usr/local, but to use it you will
always need to add -L/usr/local/lib.

-Dave