From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-30 06:00:52

>How about if the assumptions are made conditional depending on whether an
official regression test is in progress? During a regression test, be
optimistic; otherwise, assume no change (nothing fixed, nothing broken by a
new version).

This will keep the configuration as up to as the regression testers' tool
suites, which I expect will be on the leading edge of stable tool versions.
 The official regression testers would set a compiler switch like
-DBOOST_REGRESSION_TEST. Regular end users running the regression test for
sanity would probably not be interested in having the regression test fail
because their tool suite is too new, so I would expect that the default in
the regression portion of the build system would be to _not_ turn on such a
regression flag.
<

I like that, or maybe BOOST_STRICT or something - in fact I would be in
favour of having a #error in that case - that way the regression tester
knows that the config regression tests need running again. Provided of
course that this doesn't impose too much of a burden on a few people :-(

- John Maddock
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/john_maddock/