From: Jason Shirk (jasonsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-31 21:15:56

I have a few comments, especially considering my experience with 3
different versions of VC++ (VC6, VC7, and my ongoing work in developing
VC7.1.)

Some parts of BOOST will not compile out of the box with new versions of
VC.

This is true for VC7 (even after correcting _MSC_VER in boost\config.h.)
There was at least 1 compilation error due to a more conforming STL.

This will also be true for VC7.1. (I have already made corrections
where BOOST_MSVC was used and perhaps another macro would have been
better.)

Simply put, some workarounds under BOOST_MSVC weren't written expecting
a conforming compiler from Microsoft. It's usually trivial to fix, but
it might not work either way with a new version of the compiler.

How about using #error instead? The BOOST user is made very aware they
are entering uncharted territory.

Of course, since VC has the greatest number of workarounds and I'm the
one fixing the compiler bugs, I could suggest assuming they'll all be
fixed in VC7.1. After all, I already have all regression tests passing
in BOOST 1.20.2 with all workarounds disabled. I've just moved on to
1.24.0 to see what bugs the new libraries have exposed.

Jason Shirk
VC++ Compiler Team