From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-03 12:21:16

The main potential problem is the astronomers, but even a megaparasec is
only
about 3 million light years where a light year is about 10^15 meter, the
base unit.

So even with float with a max of 10^38 there is quiet a bit of headroom,
and with double 10^308 there is plenty.

So I can't see what the problem is with always storing everything in SI
units.

(If templating can allow other base systems without cost, then OK,
but I think that there is massive merit in having everything in SI
internally,
and a package that does this is a must.

Paul

Dr Paul A Bristow, hetp Chromatography