From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-03 15:01:23

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:

willia> --- In boost_at_y..., Jeremy Siek <jsiek_at_c...> wrote:
willia> >
willia> > in condition.html:
willia> >
willia> > Template parameter "Pr" should be replaced with "Predicate"
willia> > and linked to the definition:
willia> > http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/Predicate.html
willia>
willia> Do we make external links like this in Boost documentation? I'm
willia> willing to make the change, just want to make sure it's appropriate.

In Boost we try to keep external links to a minimum, but encourage use of
and links to components/concepts in the C++ standard. The SGI STL web site
is a good location to point to for concepts such as Predicate that are
used in the standard. Therefore Boost encourages this kind of external
linkage.

There are a few concepts that the SGI STL docs and the C++ std differ, so
I've created C++ std compliant defs in the libs/utility directory. Notably
the Assignable concept.

willia>
willia> > Move xlock.hpp to a detail/ directory, or document it and
willia> > make it "public".
willia>
willia> Currently it is documented, but it's also in the detail namespace (I
willia> expected others to make use of the templates). I guess I've left
willia> these types in limbo, partially a detail item and partially public
willia> concepts. A decision has to be made as to which direction it should
willia> really go.
willia> > in scoped_lock.html (and the other lock docs too)
willia> >
willia> > Header, just use mutex.hpp here, xlock.hpp is an implementation
willia> > detail, right?
willia>
willia> We can't use just mutex.hpp, we'd have to use recursive_mutex.hpp as
willia> well. However, the type isn't defined in either of these, but is
willia> defined in xlock.hpp. Even if it's fully turned into a detail I
willia> don't think this should be changed here.

Yes, others will use the stuff in xlock.hpp, but the question is *who*
those others are. Are they your ordinary user? No, they are library
authors. Therefore I encourage the move of xlock.hpp to detail/. Think
about the student trying to learn Boost.Thread for the first time... the
teacher will have to keep answering questions like "what's this
scoped_lock class template for?" and his reply "Oh, just ignore that".

I encourage that the documentation of the stuff in xlock to be removed
from the main documentation. Perhaps you could add an "Implementation
notes" page that refers to it.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek http://php.indiana.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-9761