From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-07 12:39:05

At 12:06 PM 9/7/2001, Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:

>Beman Dawes wrote:
>> I have similar concerns, but also worried that just lumping
>> all of them into "General use" would quickly render that
>> category too large.
>
>Agree, that can easily happen.
>
>> Is there a better way to separate the General and Helper entries into
>> categories?
>>

>I like Doug Gregor's suggestion to put some of the libraries into
>"Higher-order programming" and "Extension data
>structures" categories, although there might be a better name for the
>latter. I've done that, and also a few other refactorings, and the result

>is attached to this e-mail - as a material for comments :).

In general I like it. A few details are worth discussion:

* The "STL" top-level category should be eliminated IMO (thus Containers,
Algorithms, Iterators, and Function objects become top-level
categories). There really isn't any "STL" anymore as a separate entity,
and the term causes occasional confusion.

* The categories should be ordered in some way. Maybe alphabetically?

--Beman