From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-10 23:19:12

> I'd really hope that we'd first implement a full xtime
> implementation, since this is likely to be standardized on by C in
> the near future. This type has addressed most (all?) of the
> shortcomings of the current C/C++ date/time handling routines. Then
> a boost date/time class and duration can be built based on top of
> this specification, giving us a more OO interface to a (soon to be)
> common C type.

An xtime implementation would certainly improve the range of issues that can be
easily addressed, but I don't think it needs to be a prerequisite to good C++
libraries. Do you have a reference on the standardization status?

> Again, I love the idea of being able to code something like:
>
> cond.wait(boost::calendar() + duration::from_seconds(1));

I assume you are thinking that boost::calendar() returns the current time?

Jeff