From: Thomas Lien (tgunlien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-12 21:08:06

I want to comment about how index checking is handled
in the std::vector and vicariously in boost::array. I
feel having two different methods, operator[](int) and
at(int), to specify whether you want to have index
checking is bad design. A better way would be to
decide at compile time whether or not you want to
index check, possibly based on preprocessor values
NDEBUG or perhaps INDEX_CHECKING. The way it stands
now, I never want to use at(int) because eventually
release versions of my code won't need it anymore. I
understand that the since the standard does this,
boost::array wanted to mimic it. IMHO, however, I
believe index checking is best decided at compile
time. I'm curious is anyone has other opinions about
this.

Repectfully Submitted:
Tom Lien