From: Scott McCaskill (scott_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-13 16:28:47

You assume that correct software will never specify an invalid index.
However, this is a big assumption for something as low level and general
purpose as std::vector or boost::array. For some applications, the
performance cost may be justified in order to further reduce the chances of
straying into the territory of undefined behavior (or having to duplicate
the range-checking functionality of std::vector::at()). Thankfully, we can
choose which tradeoff we prefer on a case-by-case basis.