From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-18 13:29:17

From: Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
> At 01:53 PM 9/15/2001, Greg Colvin wrote:
>
> >The 4.0.1 specification provides an OBJECT tag that might do the trick:
> >
> > For instance, the following line embeds the contents of embed_me.html
> > at the location where the OBJECT definition occurs.
> >
> > ...text before...
> > <OBJECT data="embed_me.html">
> > Warning: embed_me.html could not be embedded.
> > </OBJECT>
> > ...text after...
> >
> > Recall that the contents of OBJECT must only be rendered if the file
> > specified by the data attribute cannot be loaded.
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/objects.html#embedded-documents
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/objects.html#edef-OBJECT
>
> Thanks for pointing that out.
>
> I experimented a bit and found:
>
> * IE 5 sort of supports OBJECT, but opens a scroll window for the display
> resulting in only marginal usefulness. I couldn't find any combination
> of border and/or positioning parameters which made it fully useful.
>
> * Netscape as recently as version 4.73 doesn't support OBJECT at all,
> AFAICS.
>
> So, nice try, but not useful, unless I'm missing something.

No, it's just the usual sad tale of vendors lagging behind standards.
You could do the job with script or java, but not all browsers support
that either.

Another problem might be that example code is not always a complete
translation unit, and solving that problem leads rapidly into tools
for Literate Programming.