From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-18 10:51:09

At 01:53 PM 9/15/2001, Greg Colvin wrote:

>The 4.0.1 specification provides an OBJECT tag that might do the trick:
>
> For instance, the following line embeds the contents of
>embed_me.html
> at the location where the OBJECT definition occurs.
>
> ...text before...
> <OBJECT data="embed_me.html">
> Warning: embed_me.html could not be embedded.
> </OBJECT>
> ...text after...
>
> Recall that the contents of OBJECT must only be rendered if the
file
> specified by the data attribute cannot be loaded.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/objects.html#embedded-documents
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/objects.html#edef-OBJECT

Thanks for pointing that out.

I experimented a bit and found:

   * IE 5 sort of supports OBJECT, but opens a scroll window for the
display
      resulting in only marginal usefulness. I couldn't find any
combination
      of border and/or positioning parameters which made it fully useful.

   * Netscape as recently as version 4.73 doesn't support OBJECT at all,
      AFAICS.

So, nice try, but not useful, unless I'm missing something.

--Beman