From: maneshsankar_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-09-20 08:33:54

Hi Guys,

 I am a new bee to C++ but me keenly interested in getting a hold on
this, and I hop you guys wil help me out fast

 I have a major doubt about the Thread life cycle and resource
consuming by threads..

 I have a situation in which I'll need to create a daemon thread
which collects some system info and keeps calculating them. I have to
implement this either in C/C++ which ever is better in performance
cause I am working in a critical module.

 and for your info, I am not allowed to touch MFC at all.. :(

 My Doubts..

 1. Is C or C++ better in dealing with threads.. (remember, no MFC!)
 2. Is it better to create a thread and keep it idle as the whole
module starts up so that when needed I can activate it? or is it
better to create a new one as and when required? I am worried about
the handling part and ofcourse the resource consumption
 3. Is it better to put a free thread back to idle state till I need
it again or will it be better if I can kill it and proceed? Here
again, I am worried about the handling part and ofcourse the resource
consumption.
 4. Even if I get this thread done, can I easily port this from
NT/2000 platforms to say LINUX and Solaris? What should i do to get
that done?

 Please help me, guys
 Thankx in advance..

 Manesh