From: Lois Goldthwaite (loisg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-02 08:04:34

> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 14:27:38 -0000
> From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: Threads, C, C++ and portability
>
> --- In boost_at_y..., Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_g...> wrote:
> > williamkempf_at_h... wrote:
> > > I don't believe Solaris has a POSIX
> > > implementation of threads,
> >
> > From reading Solaris man-pages, I got the impression that there
> > *is* indeed a POSIX threads implementation on Solaris, in
> > addition to its proprietary threading interface.
>
> Well, I'm going purely on info being passed to me. I have no access
> to Solaris or its documentation.
>
> Bill Kempf

Many vendors have their docs available on line these days. Some starting
places:

Solaris and Sun compilers: http://docs.sun.com/
        Note that Solaris is effectively free these days
        http://www.sun.com/software/cover/2001-0717/
        and while the Forte compiler isn't free, they do
        offer a download for 30-day trials.
        My experience a few years ago was that Solaris x86
        tracked Solaris-Sparc very closely, apart from endianness.

        And yes, there is a Posix threads interface on Solaris;
        that's what the manuals recommend using.

Hewlett Packard: http://docs.hp.com/
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/1,1703,1740,00.html

IBM:
http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixgen/topnav/topnav.htm