From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-25 07:02:56

From: <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>
> As for changing the name... one name change request that's been made
> several times that I've ignored I'd like to address one last time.
> The notify_one() and notify_all() methods on condition are more
> traditionally known as signal() and broadcast() respectively. I was
> persuaded to change them at one point, but I'm feeling like this was
> a mistake. I'm leaning towards changing them but I'll need to do so
> in the next day or two, so one final chance to argue this one.

A case for signal/broadcast:

* Q: Why? A: POSIX.

* Q: notify_* readable by non-experts, signal/broadcast not?

It is a feature that signal/broadcast are unreadable by non-experts. This
causes an immediate task-switch to documentation reading mode.

notify_one/notify_all are readable enough that a non-expert would be tempted
to _not_ check what their precise semantics are - and get burned.

unblock_one_waiting_thread/unblock_all_waiting_threads are the
self-descriptive, no-documentation-necessary alternatives, but I don't see
anybody lobbying for them. ;-)

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.