From: Jim.Hyslop (jim.hyslop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-26 08:39:11

David Abrahams [SMTP:david.abrahams_at_[hidden]] wrote:

> The experiments show that CVS can't really create a branch on a directory
> (module), but only on files. So if you try to branch a module with no
files,
> it has no effect.
Yes, that is correct. Tags, log entries, revision history, etc. are all
stored in the ",v" file, which you don't have for a directory.

Unlike adding a file, when you add a directory into CVS, the directory gets
created in the repository immediately, whereas the file does not get created
in the repository until you commit the file.

> Unfortunately, if you add (but don't commit) a file foo in
> that module, CVS complains "nothing known about foo", and aborts. So,
there
> are several options for adding a module on a branch:

[snip suggested procedures]
If the branch tag is intended to apply only to the new module, I'd go with
the second procedure (the dummy or index file).

--
Jim