From: Mickaël Pointier (mpointie_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-26 08:53:11

> I don't think that the intent is to categorize developers, but rather to
> provide different forums for different needs.
> Example:
> * If I don't understand how to use something in Boost.Threads, I'll
consult
> boost-users.
> * If I want to contribute to the development of Boost.Threads (or just
watch
> Bill and Peter play mind-chess), I'll go to boost-developers.
>
> This proposed separation of concerns is (at least to me) an indication of
> maturing library, where the needs of users are at a totally different
level
> than the low-level, highly specialized discussions between Boost
> developers/contributors.
>
> The value of boost-users could be tremendous.

I'm totaly agreeing with this view.

I'm now following the discusions on the Boost mailing list since few
monthes,
and even if I think it's intesting "intellectually speaking" (I'm learning a
lot of
things about how this and that are implemented, how works the review
process,
the systems compatibility troubles, and so on...) I don't consider that this
list
can help someone that would love to use boost in real production situation.

It's very hard to separate the part that concern the development of Boost,
and
the (few) genuine user questions :)

A separate list allowing for "real world" questions (I mean "how to do this
using
boost") would be nice.

    Mickael Pointier