From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-27 11:44:44

Hi Dietmar,

Yes, I'm still very interested in XML stuff. There are several reasons why
I'm interested in XML:

1. I'd like to be able to start writing boost/std extensions documentation
  in XML, and have the output go to html and pdf. Perhaps combined with
  some form of literate programming.

2. Use XML to document "concepts" and then produce docs and
   C++ concept checking and archetype code. See
    http://www.oonumerics.org/tmpw01/willcock.pdf

3. Create a smart IDE that stores C++ in an XML representation
  and then displays that directly to the screen (in a way that
  looks similar to normal C++ syntax).

I did some looking around at XML parsers: expat, libxml, xerxes. They all
suck. A couple weeks ago, in order to get ready to write my own parser I
started reading a bit about unicode... what a mess. Anyways, I haven't
written any code yet. I'd be willing to help out :)

Cheers,
Jeremy

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 DKl_at_[hidden] wrote:
DKl> [Note: private e-mail]
DKl>
DKl> > I'd have to agree with Jeff on this. In addition, I expect it would not
DKl> > be difficult to implement a much higher performance parser using modern
DKl> > C++ style instead of Java-style C++.
DKl>
DKl> Somehow I knew I'm not alone and actually we talked about this in
DKl> Copenhagen. It is funny that others have the same view on tools like
DKl> Xerces (a Java implementation [badly] translated to C++). I'm currently
DKl> hacking away to get something flying for posting on Boost to do XML
DKl> parsing. In Copenhagen you mentioned that you are at least also thinking
DKl> of doing some XML stuff. What is your state?

 Jeremy Siek http://php.indiana.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-9761