From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-10 07:39:28

At 07:46 AM 10/10/2001, David Abrahams wrote:

>Actually, it didn't work out as well as we expected. Beman was getting
all
>of the moderation requests, while Jens and I were getting none. Also,
>people were confused by the posting delay, despite the fact that the
>welcome message contained a notice about the moderation. Beman turned
>the feature off.

I've been trying to understand why it wasn't working as
expected. (YahooGroups doesn't have human support anymore, so you have to
puzzle it out for yourself.)

The "who gets moderation requests?" problem turned out to be that
moderators profiles (message delivery/notification) have to explicitly be
set. I've now done that for Dave and Jens.

The "moderate new members" feature seems to work like this: all new members
on sign up are marked as requiring moderation. Each of their messages then
require moderation, until a moderator manually and marks them as "Use group
policy" rather than "Moderated".

Having an at least slightly better understanding of how the "moderate new
members" feature works, I'm going to turn it back on and give it another
try.

But I think we may need another moderator to make it work. There are
certain times of the year when Dave, Jens, and I are all unavailable for
several days because we are in transit to/from C++ committee meetings.

--Beman