From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-10-11 15:20:45

--- In boost_at_y..., Ross Smith <ross.s_at_i...> wrote:
> Could I ask the people working on the Jam-based build system to
clarify
> a point for me please? It doesn't seem to be addressed in the design
> document.

I'm not working on the Build system, but I think I can answer this.

> Will it still be possible to download Boost, build it using some
simple
> command line (on the level of "./configure && make install", and
then go
> ahead and use it in Makefile-based projects like any other library?
Or
> will it be necessary to use Jam instead of make for projects that
use
> Boost?
>
> (To put it another way: will we have to learn Jam in order to use
> Boost?)

What Jam produces is the same as what make would produce (though the
Boost.Build system nicely seperates the variants, such as
Debug/Release, MT/ST etc.). So nothing changes for you as a
developer once the Boost libraries are built.

Currently, one issue that Boost.Build doesn't address (but it's being
at least planned for) is installation, so you may have to manually
copy the files to your various platform specific locations after they
are built, but this shouldn't be much of a burden while this is being
worked on by the Boost.Build developers.

That said, once you've used Jam you'll never go back to make, so you
might want to check into Jam any way.

Bill Kempf