From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-12 07:22:27

Toon wrote:
> gnu make is certainly no option. It has many more features compared to
> the 'standard' make. Thus once you start using gmake, you can forget
> about compatibility with 'standard' make.

I agree that it has many more options than standard make. Some of these are
very helpful.

> Although linux has gmake by default and IIRC SGI's make is gmake
> compatible, most unix pre-installed make's are not (e.g. HP-UX). Thus
> most users (windows, hp, ... ) would still need to install gmake.

gmake is, of course, widely ported. I agree windows and other users would need
to install gmake. However, if you are embarking on a serious development
project I assure you that obtaining gmake will likely be only one of a hundred
download/installs required, and one of the easiest. For example, below is the
gmake binary download page for hp-ux. SCO-UNIX, just to pick one, comes with
gmake as an easy to install add-on in binary from CD.

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/1,1703,553,0
0.html

Keep in mind, I made my remark in response to a conversation about someone
trying to create cross-platform makefiles for boost. IMO trying to do this with
standard make and nmake is very difficult. I was simply suggesting a different
approach presuming that someone was planning to embark on this project.

And to repeat my previous conclusion, although I think a make-based approach
could work EFFORT AT THIS POINT WOULD BE BETTER USED TO fix the issues with JAM.

Jeff