From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-17 13:04:30

Hi Markus,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Markus Schoepflin" <markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden]>

> Hi boosters,
>
> I have two questions concerning the new boost build system.
>
> 1. Can I define a new variant as a variation of an old variant? Say I
> want a variant "my-debug" which inherits all the settings
> from "debug" but changes some features which are set in "debug".

That was in the original design, but I punted when I ran into a problem that
looked like inheritance. I'm not sure I remember exactly, but I think it was
something like this: what happens if you derive a variant my-debug from
debug, then specify <debug><define>FOO in your target requirements? Should
FOO be defined in your "my-debug" build? What happens if you add
<my-debug><define>FUBAR? Is the behavior the same for non-free features as
for free features?

> 2. How can I specify a default build variant for all projects,
> including all subprojects in the top level jamfile?

You can set the default-BUILD variable in your Jamrules file. The format for
$(default-BUILD) is exactly the same as the format for the default build
specification for individual targets.

HTH,
Dave

  David Abrahams, C++ library designer for hire
 resume: http://users.rcn.com/abrahams/resume.html

        C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)
          email: david.abrahams_at_[hidden]