From: Markus Schoepflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-18 09:04:22

Hi David,

--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:
> Hi Markus,

Say I
> > want a variant "my-debug" which inherits all the settings
> > from "debug" but changes some features which are set in "debug".
>
> That was in the original design, but I punted when I ran into a
problem that
> looked like inheritance. I'm not sure I remember exactly, but I
think it was
> something like this: what happens if you derive a variant my-debug
from
> debug, then specify <debug><define>FOO in your target requirements?
Should
> FOO be defined in your "my-debug" build?

I would certainly expect this.

> What happens if you add
> <my-debug><define>FUBAR?

<debug> gets FOO and <my-debug> gets FOO and FUBAR.

> Is the behavior the same for non-free features as
> for free features?

Yes.

[... text deleted ...]

What I had in mind was some kind of basic variant (like debug or
release) and some other variant which inherits all the settings from
the basic variant but enables this or that feature, giving me the
variants debug-feature1, release-feature1, debug-feature-2, ...

Thanks, Markus