From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-18 19:22:18

----- Original Message -----
From: "Markus Schoepflin" <markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden]>

> > Which? (I asked two questions above).
>
> Hmm, I can see two question marks but I can't see two questions...
> Sorry, english isn't my native language, maybe I'm missing something.

Nope, my mistake. I was misreading my own quote! ;-)

> > It can't be exactly the same. You only get one setting for any non-
> free
> > feature. You can't have both <inlining>full and <inlining>off, so I
> suppose
> > you'd like to see non-free feature overrides?
> >

> Yup.

This was just one of the complications I didn't want to tackle at the time.

> > You can get a similar effect by setting, e.g. BUILD = release
> > <debug-symbols>on
>
> Hmm, this looks interesting.

It's fairly well-documented in the build system docs.

> > I'll put your request into the mix. If you would like to volunteer
> > implement some things, your request could get handled much faster ;-
> )
> >

> Oops, I don't know if I could be of any help. I'm quite a fair C++
> programmer, but this JAM stuff scares me a little.

It's easy to learn, and I'm here to help.
You can run little experiments by doing jam -f<your-own-file> to see how the
language works. Use the ECHO built-in command to dump results, e.g.:

rule foo
{
    ECHO $(1[2]) $(2[1]) ;
}
foo a b : c d ;

would type "b c" (and "don't know how to make 'all'").

-Dave