From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-20 04:40:16

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vladimir Prus" <ghost_at_[hidden]>

> David, now that our discussion in the other thread almost converged, I can
> offer these points to be added to todo.txt
> 1. Ability to override boost build system files. Guess that by making use
of
> BOOST_BUILD_INSTALLATION, it can be made easily
> 2. <cxxflags> -- appears trivial to me
> 3. tweaks for borland
> 4. Fix for the two bugs I've send you -- free features in target pathes
and
> TOP-relative pathes.

I need a reminder about the 2nd bug. Are you sure there's still a problem,
even with the addition of the "path-global" rule (see the boost Jamrules
file)?

> 5. Correct handling of recursive incude. Now that BINDRULE is available,
it
> should be simple.
> 6. 'requirements' rule
>
> I can try to implement 1, 2, 3, 5, if you don't see any possible problems
or
> questions to discuss. I can also look at 4 in more detail, probably it's
not
> that hard. As for 6, we'd need some preliminary work. At least, an ability
> name project is required. Do you have already a complete picture of how
using
> external libraries will be done?

I have made some (mental) progress with that, but we need to talk about it.
I am busy adding core Jam language features, but when I get done with this
final feature (a module system), I am going to stop that and we should begin
discussiong the build system architecture again. My sense is that it would
be a good exercise for you to try doing all of the above work, and most of
the implementation will be re-usable in the new architechture.

How does that sound?
Dave

  David Abrahams, C++ library designer for hire
 resume: http://users.rcn.com/abrahams/resume.html

        C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)
          email: david.abrahams_at_[hidden]