From: Ed Brey (edbrey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-22 07:54:45

From: "Alisdair Meredith" <alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden]>

> Now that I have a basic build system running, I notice that the Regex DLLs generated have a name I expect would be the same if I compiled with MSVC, or Cygwin. Would these DLLs be interchangeable? I doubt it. Given the windows practice of installing (almost) all DLLs in the system folder, isn't this asking for trouble if two tools supplied by different vendors rely on the same boost library, but use different compilers?

Dumping DLLs into the Windows System folder hasn't been proper windows practice for a few years. Indeed, the test used for validating Windows installations flags any file that is placed into the Windows System folder (except for core files that are not removed during an uninstall). DLLs such as RegEx are supposed to be put into the application's folder under Program Files or in a folder dedicated to common files for the suite of applications in question.

Therefore, the DLL will rarely need to be renamed (which is good, since ad hoc renaming (i.e. without a centralized naming scheme) isn't a very robust solution).

Links for more information:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/ices_1xrt.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2kcli/html/w2kcli.asp