From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-22 11:01:54

Hi Hugo,

There should be no complaints about boost-build.jam unless you are using the
"-f allyourbase.jam" option. The jam executable doesn't normally look for
Boost.Build.

If you are using Windows and have access to VC++, you can check out
tools/build/jam_src on the jam_src branch. Included is a .bat file called
makedebugjam.bat which builds a debug version of jam.

Currently the script relies on the presence of cygwin as well, to run bison.
If you need to eliminate the requirement on cygwin, get rid of the
definitions of the YACC variable.

If you want to do a similar thing on other platforms, you can follow the
model in the .bat file. The key thing to notice is that if you're starting
with a make command, you need to define both CFLAGS (for the initial make)
and CCFLAGS (for the jam bootstrap) to enable debugging. I have not tried to
build a debugging version by running jam (instead of make), but it should
work if you supply the important parameters on the jam command-line
(e.g. -sCCFLAGS=...).

HTH,
Dave

  David Abrahams, C++ library designer for hire
 resume: http://users.rcn.com/abrahams/resume.html

        C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)
          email: david.abrahams_at_[hidden]