From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-23 10:32:13

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Maddock" <John_Maddock_at_[hidden]>

> >Please describe for me the behavior you would like to see. I'm sure some
> >facility for this can now be easily integrated with the build system.
>
> I guess I was hoping for a lib naming convention something like:
> "libboost_regex_%tool%_%config%.lib"

Sure. The problem is, what goes into %config% ?
How does that scheme work?

> The difficulty of course is keeping the names from getting too long.

And figuring how to conjure up the names in the first place.

> Some kind of minimal install facility would be useful as well - one issue
> have with the current directory structure is that the libs end up
scattered
> over lots of different directories, working out what -L option to use is
> overly complex at present, unless you copy the files to a central
> directory; except you can't do that 'cos they all have the same name :-(

The whole point of the build system is that it figures this stuff out for
you. You just supply <lib>subproject-path/target in your sources, and the
build system finds (and builds, if neccessary) the library whose (non-free)
features match the target you're building.

-Dave

  David Abrahams, C++ library designer for hire
 resume: http://users.rcn.com/abrahams/resume.html

        C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)
          email: david.abrahams_at_[hidden]