From: Carl Daniel (cpdaniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-29 11:02:37

From: "Markus Schoepflin" <markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden]>
> --- In boost_at_y..., Thomas Witt <witt_at_i...> wrote:
> >
> > With jam from CVS the piecemeal option does not seem to work. The
> intel-win32
> > archive action can produce a link command thats rejected by the OS
> for
> > exceeding the maximum length. Any idea how to work around this?
> >

> Acutally the piecemeal option does work, but the maximum command line
> length is defined as 10k for NT which is wrong.
>
> You could try to lower it and see if you find a setting that works
> for you. It's in "jam.h", line 89.
>
> I encountered the same problem last week but couldn't find a real fix
> for this as I couldn't find any hints for the correct maximum command
> line length for NT. Looks like it depends on other factors (maximum
> size of environment, how many environment variables are set, ...) as
> well.

There doesn't appear to be a documented max command line length for NT - it probably depends on how the process is
created (CreateProcess, *spawn*, *exec*, etc).

link.exe, however, apparently has a maximum of 4K, and that includes content inside "response" files. It's not 4K
total, just 4K per line - make sure there's a line break at least once every 4k and there should be no problems. This
restriction is probably why Visual Studio always uses a response file when invoking link.exe.

-cd